How to measure the Square Footage of a house
What exactly is measured? and How?
What is measured varies depending on your Order Request.
Home Measuring for a Basic MLS home measure request,
Our field associates will typically begin with the Exterior walls. Each wall is measured corner to corner at the exterior face of the wall surface.Measurements are noted as accurately as possible to the closest 1/4 of an inch, or one tenth of a foot. When possible all measurements are verified from the exterior. Attached garage conditions usually require access to the interior for verification of heated and unheated areas. While the locations of exterior windows and doors are noted, their precise location and sizes are not verified.
Upper level areas, at times, present a unique challenges, especially with complex plan configurations. In such cases interior areas will be measured from inside of wall to inside of wall. These recorded measurements, construction experience and the utilization of the main level data will help insure an accurate calculation of Gross area.
Home Measuring for a Detailed home measure request,
The procedures are basically the same as noted above for the basic plan measure. Except, all living areas of the home, interior and exterior are measured. In addition, the location and approximate sizes of Fixtures and Counter Tops are noted. When Possible, attached exterior features, including patios, porches and decks, are measured and noted in the plan report.
Home Measuring for an As-Built home measure request,
The As-Built procedures gather and record detailed measurements suitable for Architectural, Designer and Contractor concept plans and budgeting.
The report includes:
- Area calculations for Finished and Unfinished Living Areas
- Floor Plans showing the Exterior and Interior walls and Room Relationships
- Measured and Noted locations of Fixtures and Counter Tops
- Measured and Noted locations of Windows and Doors
- Noted Measurements of Exterior and Interior Walls and Spaces
- Statement of Square Footage listing Major Rooms for MLS
- Measured and Noted locations of under roof Patios, Porches and Decks
- Floor Plans in PDF format ready for print
- Digital photo Record of the Interior and Exterior spaces (optional)
- DXF files are available for Architects, Designers and Contractors.
Home Measuring Tools:
Our associates will use a combination of traditional (Tape Measure) and digital measuring devices (Laser) to verify and collect data. Digital pictures of the interior, exterior and other unique features may be collected for file records and reference.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Accuracy in Square Footage Reporting, Why does it matter?
- Appointments and Property Access
- CALCULATION OF SQUARE FOOTAGE ANSI Standards
- Can I order a home measuring by phone?
- Can The Plan Drawing be put on My Company Letter Head?
- Cancellation Policy
- Centri Lock?
- Courtesy Call
- Discounts for Agents
- Do you have a plan of this Home?
- Do You Measure Homes Outside of Nashville, TN?
- Home Measuring in Middle Tennessee?
- How do I place a measure request order?
- How Does Accurate Home Measuring Pricing Compare to Other Measuring Services?
- How Much Does it Cost?
- How to measure the Square Footage of a house
- I Don't have a PayPal Account, How can I pay Online?
- I don't know the approximate Square Footage
- Lost or Missing Plan Reports
- Measures, When an Appointment is Required for Access
- Need it in a Rush?
- Order Today! By Phone!
- Refund Policy
- The ANSI Standard - Short Summary
- What about mistakes?
- What are Service Travel Zones?
- What are the Payment Options?
- What are your Terms of Service?
- What CADD file Format is available?
- What if I select the incorrect "Approximate Square Footage" when ordering online?
- What Information is Included on the Basic MLS Measure Report
- What Information is Included on the Detailed Measure Report?
- What is PDF format?
- What is the Turn-A-Round Time?
- What is Your Service Area?
- What Size sheet is the Plan Report presented in?
- What to Expect After You Place Your Order!
- What to Expect Now, After You have Placed Your Home Measuring Order!
- What to Expect when the person arrives to measure.
- What Type of Measure is Best for MLS?
- Where Do You measure Homes?
- Why Home Measurements are Important for Realtors
- Why is there an Added Travel Fee?
- Why Order Online? Benefits